Re: H264 stateless reference frames ordering lists

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 7:53 PM Boris Brezillon
<boris.brezillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Alexandre,
>
> On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 19:14:22 +0900
> Alexandre Courbot <acourbot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi Boris and Ezequiel,
> >
> > Patch c3adb85745ca6 has removed the ref_pic_list_* members from the
> > v4l2_ctrl_h264_decode_params struct. The MT8183 stateless decoder
> > driver I am working on still relies on these lists and I am trying (a
> > bit late to the game) to remove them from the Chromium OS kernel UAPI
> > in order to match upstream.
> >
> > I have dug into the discussion that resulted in this removal and could
> > not really find how these are supposed to be reconstructed and on the
> > basis on which information. The commit log for the above-mentioned
> > patch mentions that "generic helpers will be provided for drivers that
> > need this list". I could not find any in the kernel so far, do you
> > have any code available at the moment? Or any idea on how these can be
> > reconstructed? The process seems to involve reading the DPB itself as
> > well as reordering information from the slice parameters, and seems to
> > be a bit involved to be done in the kernel, but maybe I am missing
> > something here.
>
> The code is here [1], and it should indeed be extracted and put in a
> generic v4l2_h264 lib at some point (should happen soon, since we need
> the same logic for the rkvdec driver).
>
> Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks - not sure how I missed it. I have tried adapting the code for
MT8183 and it seems to be working perfectly there as well.

Regarding the lib to make this code available to other drivers, I was
thinking about doing it on top of
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/11076405/ but is this patch still
being worked on?