Re: Proposal for a V4L2 Media Controller mini-summit

Hi Hans,

Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On Friday 12 February 2010 20:28:43 Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010, Hans Verkuil wrote:
>>
>>> Since that time we have added a new API to support HDTV formats, a new
>>> event API is almost ready, a lot of work is being done on the media
>>> controller API with omap3 as guinea pig and Samsung has done work on the
>>> memory handling of V4L2.

>>> San Francisco, and it is co-located with the Linux Foundation Collaboration
>>> Summit (April 14th-16th). Links to these conferences are here:
>>>
>>> http://www.embeddedlinuxconference.com/elc_2010/index.html
>>> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/collaboration-summit
>>>
>>> I will be doing a presentation on the new framework during the ELC.
>>>
>>> Since this conference is about 6 months after the mini-summit I consider this
>>> a good time to organize a new V4L2 Media Controller mini-summit to discuss
>>> progress and future work in this area. I think that particular attention
>>> should be given to how we are going to do memory handling. The proposals
>>> from Samsung have received very little attention and we should discuss those
>>> in more detail.
>>>
>>> I do not know on which dates exactly such a summit can take place. There
>>> are three possibilities:
>>>
>>> April 10-11/12
>>> April 12-14
>>> April 14/15-16
>>>
>>> I think that registering for the ELC gives to free access to the Collaboration
>>> Summit, but I'm waiting for a confirmation on that.
>>>
>>> I'm not keen on the center option (12-14 April) since that often means that
>>> you don't see a lot of the conference itself. And the ELC is generally quite
>>> interesting.
>>>
>>> There is another alternative and that is that I organize a mini-summit in May
>>> in Lysaker (near Oslo, Norway) at the Tandberg offices. But frankly I think
>>> that it is more fun to do this during/before/after a conference. If only
>>> because there are a lot of linux kernel experts on hand during such a
>>> conference that you can ask for help if needed.
>>>
>>> Please let me know asap if you are interested in attending such a mini-summit
>>> and what dates are possible for you:
>>>
>>> a: April 10-11 (or 12)
>>> b: April 12-14
>>> c: April 14 (or 15)-16
>>> d: Somewhere in May (suggestions for dates are welcome)
>> I would be interested in principle in taking part in such a mini-summit,
>> but: for me personally Europe is more easily accessible than the US, I
>> could also consider the US, but to increase the chances for me to get
>> there I'd need to know a couple of months in advance, getting a visa takes
>> time, sorting out finances too. Also, 6 months is a good term, but does
>> this mean, that there is going to be one more meeting in another 6 months?

I'm also interested, but, for me, being in US or in Europe requires me some
months in advance for planning.

> That is at least my intention. Most likely during/before/after the 2010
> Plumbers Conference which is held in Cambridge, MA, USA, November 3-5.

It is probably hard for me to get budget for 2 international travels per year.
So, except if I can get some sponsor, I probably won't be able to be on the
interim meeting.

I'm planning to be on LPC, so we can schedule the subsystem mini-summit to
happen in Cambridge, MA, US, in November.

> There will also be an Embedded Linux Conference this fall in Europe. And
> I think I heard that that will be held in Cambridge, UK (so don't mix those
> two up :-) ). It is likely that I will be there as well.
>
> In general: if people are interested in an interim meeting between
> European developers, then just let me know. I should be able to organize
> something like that at the Tandberg offices in Norway, for example.

I can also try the same. If there are enough interested people, I may be
able to organize a meeting on Red Hat's office in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Cheers,
Mauro