Re: Remote "Mouse mode" buttons, Keycode choices, etc.

On Sun, 2019-06-16 at 18:58 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > I dug out a fair bunch of remote controls I got around 10 years
> > ago[1],
> > and started trying them all out.
> >
> > I bumped into a couple of problems:
> >
> > - the Snapstream Firefly remote ([2] using the rc-snapstream-
> > firefly
> > keymap and the ati_remote protocol) creates 2 input device nodes,
> > one
> > for the remote keys, one for the mouse mode. The mouse button on
> > the
> > remote just sends KEY_MODE, and doesn't change the mode, nothing is
> > ever sent on the mouse device node
> >
> > - the Streamzap remote ([3]) uses KEY_NUMERIC_[0-9] keycodes, just
> > like
> > a small minority of other devices. Is there any reason for them not
> > use KEY_[0-9] instead? Or for all of them to use KEY_NUMERIC_*, for
> > consistencies' sake. I can send patches for those.
>
> This may be a bit of fun; consistency is good but this will change
> behaviour for people,
> right?
>
> So.. be careful :-).

I'm not really sure how one can be "careful" doing that.

You can check this patch to lirc from 2008 to see what it might end up
looking like ;)
https://people.redhat.com/bnocera/lirc-fix-remote-keycodes.patch

It doesn't really answer my question about whether this discrepancy was
intended though.