Re: cx18 fix patches

Hi Andy,

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Andy Walls <awalls@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Devin,
>
> I found interesting system interactions.  On my dual core x86_64 Fedora
> 12 machine loading an HVR-1600 cold (no firmware has been loaded yet),
> the pulseaudio daemon opens up a CX23418 ALSA node almost immediately
> after it appears and has these effects:
>
> 1. Pulseaudio tries to perform some sort of op that starts a capture on
> the PCM stream before the APU and CPU firmware has finished loading.
> This results in error messages in the log and probably an undesirable
> driver state, if there was never any firmware loaded prior - such as at
> power up.

I'm a little surprised by that, since the cx18-alsa module is only
initialized after the rest of the cx18 driver is loaded.

> 2. Pulseaudio grabs the ALSA control node for the CX23418 and won't let
> go.  If I kill the Pulseaudio process that has the node open, it just
> respawns and grabs the control node again.  This prevents unloading the
> cx18-alsa and cx18 module.

As far as I know, this is one of those dumb Pulseaudio things.
Doesn't it do this with all PCI cards that provide ALSA?

> 3. If Pulseaudio also keeps the PCM analog stream going, then TV image
> settings are fixed to the values at the time Pulseaudio started the
> stream.  I don't think it does, but I'm not sure yet.

I know that Pulseaudio binds to the device, but as far as I know it
does not actually open the PCM device for streaming.

> My off the cuff ideas for fixes are:
>
> 1. Integrate cx18-alsa functions into the driver and no longer have it
> as a module, to better coordinate firmware loading with the ALSA nodes.
> (The modular architecture appears to have been a bad choice on my part.)

I'm not against merging the two into a single module, although it's
not clear to me that it will help with the issues you are seeing.

> 2. Add a module option to disable setting up the cx18-alsa device nodes.

I can see some value in such an option in general for debugging
purposes, although I don't think it provides a whole lot of value for
regular users who would not normally have it enabled.

> I'll try to work on these this Friday and Saturday.

I will be out of town this weekend, but if you send me email I will
try to respond as promptly as possible.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs