Re: Noob DVB-T2 experience: Mygica T230C2, CrazyCat, VDR w. output plugins, and friends...

Dear Everyone,

I have some further progress to report.

I did climb a conveniently chosen hilltop, within 10 km of the trial
(transitional) T2 transmitter. I got RSSI = -38 dB and CNR = 34.5 dB,
BER stuck firmly at 0.

Another key discovery, this one is related to my user-space struggle:
upon a friend's recommendation, I've tried using dvbv5-zap with the
"-r" argument, which redirected the currently tuned program stream
into /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 and tried displaying the live stream
using "ffplay" = the software-based decoder/player, a companion tool
of the FFMPEG codec pack.
Initially it looked like ffplay just got stuck, didn't start playing
the HEVC video. But, on the hilltop I once left it on by mistake, and
after some 40 seconds (!) from its start, I was amazed: suddenly I
got a window with the live TV. FFplay was decoding HEVC for me, for
the first time.

It's funny:

Mplayer takes about 4 seconds to start up and start playing the
video. (The distro version of Mplayer doesn't support HEVC, only
MPEG2 from DVB-T.)

ffplay takes about 10 seconds to start up and start playing MPEG2
from DVB-T. And, after some 10 seconds of playback, it freezes.
So you stop it, start it again, and the same thing happens - it
freezes after a couple seconds.

With HEVC, ffplay prints a few lines on startup, and then apparently
falls asleep for about 25-30 seconds, doing nothing. Then it spits
out a screen or two full of
  "Error parsing NAL unit #2"
  "PPS id out of range: 1"
and falls silent for another maybe 10 seconds.
Then suddenly a window opens and the video is there :-)
40 seconds after the ffplay was started.
And the HEVC video keeps playing for maybe a minute or two, before it
hangs :-/ The player responds to "Q" but the stream playback is
stuck.

Once back from the hilltop, I have noticed that:

- I can play a HEVC stream when connected to the headend's tap port,
  on the problematic "pilot" stream at 554 MHz (channel 31),
  with RSSI = about -35 dBmW, CNR = about 23 dB and non-zero BER.

- even from the wall socket in the appartment, that same problematic
  MUX still results in watchable video, at RSSI= -60 dB, CNR=23 dB
  and BER approaching 10^-3. Amazing.

- suddenly I realized, that while I had been playing with w_scan2,
  a second DVB-T2 mux had slipped through my fingers, at 530 MHz
  (CCIR channel 28) - and this has pretty good parameters even at the
  wall socket: -48 dBmW RSSI and about 34 dB CNR, BER = typically 0,
  sometimes turning into 10^-9. Sure enough, ffplay was playing the
  programmes just fine.

=> so I do have some content to test on at home, without climbing
hilltops :-)

I have also realized that the DVB-T2 probably runs at 256QAM,
i.e. needs a greater CNR to work, compared to the 64QAM of DVB-T.
By how much? 6 dB in amplitude and 6 dB in phase?

I have also tried dvbnet, to get the MPEG packets into Wireshark...
but dvbnet did not work correctly, the netdevices could not be
assigned an IP address and brought up.

Now that I have the antenna part and the Mygica somewhat solved, I
will try to get some newer hardware with VAAPI support, to see if I
can get vdr to work.

Frank Rysanek

P.S.: I'm attaching some logs again, in case anyone's interested.