Re: Noob DVB-T2 experience: Mygica T230C2, CrazyCat, VDR w. output plugins, and friends...

Dear everyone,

while eyeing the Me-TV player utility, namely the Rust-based v3.x
remake from
https://github.com/Me-TV/Me-TV

I have noticed the dvb-tools package.
I have learned to produce an initial channel list in v3 format
using w_scan (which was only partial, but the format is trivial
enough so I just added the missing multiplexes by hand)
and I used that initial channel list as input to dvbv5-scan .
I didn't get Me-TV to work properly - the binary that I downloaded
would start, would show a small dialog with program selection
and mentioning the frontend0, but would not show any picture.

BUT: I got introduced to dvbv5-zap.
What a brilliant little tool :-)
It shows the signal level, CNR and "BERT after FEC" I believe.
Good! This is the sort of information I've been missing.

The 100kW DVB-T muxes have like -33 to -40 dBmW signal strength,
the CNR is about 25 to 35 dB and the BERT is typically 0.
That's in the apartment socket.

And I've noticed that my T2 multiplex doesn't have a very strong
signal after all. In the apartment socket, it was like -60 dBmW
level, 22-24 dB CNR and non-zero BERT.
At the nearby hilltop transmitter (hidden behind horizon for my RX
site) the T2 transmitter has only 10 kW, while all the other old
DVB-T muxes have like 100 kW. And, the weak T2 multiplex at 554 MHz
is adjacent in the spectrum to a relatively strong nearby DVB-T
transmitter (different location) at 546 MHz - so I cannot adjust
their levels selectively.
If I try to plug the receiver donge straight into the headend's
monitoring output (-30 dB off the PA output) I get about
-34 dB level and still those 22 to 24 dB CNR.
The BERT stays mostly at 0, only sometimes a packet gets lost
(the stats report a non-zero BERT for a single "sample").
And the VDR still keeps reporting "this TS is scrambled".

Which means that the signal quality diagnosis is "inconclusive".
I have a plan to pack my Disco notebook and a simple passive antenna,
climb a nerby hilltop and "look the transmitter in the eye".
The noise background of the receiver dongle seems to be about -90
dBmW, so let's see how it behaves with pure passive reception.
The transmitter is actually not far away, I can travel closer to it
if needed. The point is to get a crystal clear DVB-T2 signal
and see what VDR makes of that.

Frank Rysanek