Re: uvcvideo: IR camera lights only every second frame

Hi
On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 4:49 PM Kieran Bingham
<kieran.bingham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Jiri,
>
> On 30/10/2018 14:36, Jiri Slaby wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a Dell Lattitude 7280 with two webcams. The standard one works
> > fine (/dev/video0). The other one is an IR camera (/dev/video1). The
> > camera proper works fine and produces 340x374 frames. But there is an IR
> > led supposed to light the object. The video is 30fps, but the LED seems
> > to emit light only on half of the frames, i.e. on every second frame (15
> > fps). This makes the video blink a lot. The two consecutive frames look
> > like:
> > https://www.fi.muni.cz/~xslaby/sklad/mpv-shot0002.jpg
> > https://www.fi.muni.cz/~xslaby/sklad/mpv-shot0003.jpg
> >
> > Do you have any ideas what to check/test?
>
> I have an HP Spectre with IR camera, and it also 'flashes' alternate frames.
>
> I assumed this was something to do with controlling the lighting for
> face recognition some how.

I think Kieran is right here. A very common way of detecting what is
close to the camera is using NIR LEDs due to how directional they are.

The algorithm is more or less:

You have a camera with a NIR filter (the rbg camera) and a camera without.

You alternate the NIR LEDs and substract both images. The results are
the object on the front.

You use that information to get what is in on the front of the RGB
camera (unaffected by the NIR leds).

Around 10 years ago we were using this approach for segmentation of
body parts. It worked like a charm for getting biometrical parameters
and detect gestures

https://repositorio.uam.es/bitstream/handle/10486/664236/biometric_morales_LNCS_2009_ps.pdf?sequence=3&isAllowed=y

Cheers!

--