Re: i.MX6 IPU CSI analog video input on Ventana

On Wed, 2018-10-17 at 14:33 -0700, Steve Longerbeam wrote:
[...]
> > I'm also interested in looking at Philipps' 'i.MX media mem2mem
> > scaler' series (https://patchwork.kernel.org/cover/10603881/) and am
> > wondering if anyone has some example pipelines showing that in use.
> > I'm hoping that is what is needed to be able to use hardware
> > scaling/CSC and coda based encoding on streams from v4l2 PCI capture
> > devices.
>
> Yes exactly, I'll let Philipp answer. I'm also interested in the gstreamer
> element needed to make use of h/w scaling/CSC from the mem2mem
> device.

GStreamer should create a GstV4l2Transform element "v4l2videoXconvert"
for the /dev/videoX mem2mem scaler device.

> For coda encode, my understanding is that the v4l2h264enc element will
> make use of coda h/w encode, something like this example which encodes to
> a h.264 file (I haven't verified this works, still need to build a later
> version of gst-plugins-good that has the vl2h264enc support):
>
> gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src io-mode=dmabuf device=/dev/video$dev !\ "video/x-raw,format=$fmt,width=$w,height=$h"  ! \
> v4l2h264enc output-io-mode=dmabuf-import  ! queue ! matroskamux ! \
> filesink location=$filename

With GStreamer 1.14 the capture side io-mode parameter is not necessary
anymore to export dmabufs.
The output-io-mode parameter is currently still needed though, as the
V4L2 elements don't support negotiating dmabuf using caps via
video/x-raw(memory:DMABuf) yet.

Also there's a h264parse missing to convert the video/x-h264,stream-
format=byte-stream from v4l2h264enc to video/x-h264,stream-format=avc as
required by matroskamux:

gst-launch-1.0 \
	v4l2src ! \
	v4l2video10convert output-io-mode=dmabuf-import ! \
	v4l2h264enc output-io-mode=dmabuf-import ! \
	h264parse ! \
	matroskamux ! \
	filesink

> > Lastly, is there any hope to use IMX6 hardware compositing to say
> > stitch together multiple streams from a v4l2 PCI capture device into a
> > single stream for coda based hw encoding?
>
> The IPUv3 Image Converter has a combining unit that can combine pixels from
> two images, but there is no support for that in mainline AFAIK.

I don't think there is any V4L2 API for compositing yet.

regards
Philipp