Re: [PULL] http://www.kernellabs.com/hg/~dheitmueller/hvr-1600-alsa-2

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Just a very quick look through the files, here are some comments:
>
> - snd_card_free() can't be called with NULL, but the error path in
>  snd_cx18_init() may reach that (when snd_card_create() returns an
>  error).
>
> - Specifying both SNDRV_PCM_RATE_CONTINOUS and _KNOT to
>  snd_pcm_hw_info.rates doesn't make sense.  In your case, if it's
>  only 48kHz, SNDRV_PCM_RATE_48000 there instead.
>
> - vfree() should be called in hw_free callback rather than close
>  callback.  And, there are already global vmalloc-buffer helper
>  functions in the latest ALSA tree for 2.6.34...
>
> - It'd be nice if you give TLV information for the mixer dB mapping.

Hello Takashi,

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback.  I will make these
changes and add them to the tree.

Out of curiosity, is there any sort of tool/code which exercises the
driver to verify the advertised capabilities.  Part of the problem
here is that it is not really easy to find example applications which
use all the features, which I suspect is one of the big headaches that
the PulseAudio people are suffering from in that they are finding bugs
in ALSA drivers because they are the first ones to actually attempt to
use some of these capabilities.  For me the card "works", but then
some user complains that their PulseAudio is broken because I didn't
setup the config structures properly or only half-implemented some
capability used by PulseAudio but not arecord/aplay.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com