RE: Using big platform driver as foundation to implement TV driver framework in Linux

Hi Mchehab,

We are very appreciating for your reply.

For GPL, We are agree to follow GPL license to open source code which is in Linux kernel.
For "but we don't accept any other OS-dependent code", we can follow this rule to remove relative OS-dependent code.
For " If otherwise all you want is to have a wrapper driver to run some proprietary driver, then shipping such solution would likely be a copyright violation and we can't help you.",
We can follow GPL, Our intention is not to be a copyright violation.

What we hope to do is to separate our board support package to two part. One is driver part, another is platform part.
We want to put driver part to kernel source folder driver/media, or driver/xxx and put platform part to arch/arm/mach-xxx.
Both of those code will follow GPL license, and we want to upstream both into main Linux code line.

Because our hardware is a consumerism orientation production, different hardware module is highly dependency to provide cost efficiency performance. It will cause our driver implement concept will have huge different with other company or personal computer.
For this reason, we want to collect non-standard part implement to "platform", in our view this is a very low level / highly hardware dependency from our production to product. We also hope most of platform part can be re-use to another OS, it can reduce cost for quality assurance or sync of bug fix to different OS.
We hope driver part can join and co-work with media community. Provide those driver part will reduce cost and time to upgrade to new version of kernel.

For example, the model we expect is:

User mode APP   ==interface(V4L2)==>   /driver/media/V4L2_Jpeg   == interface(a kind of media platform, hope have standard)==>   /arch/arm/mach-MTK-TV-model2/platform_jpeg