Re: [RFC, libv4l]: Make libv4l2 usable on devices with complex pipeline

Hi!

> > Thanks for thread pointer... I may be able to get in using hangouts.
> >
> > Anyway, there's big difference between open("/dev/video0") and
> > v4l2_open("/dev/video0"). I don't care about the first one, but yes we
> > should be able to support the second one eventually.
> >
> > And I don't think Mauro says apps like Camorama are of open() kind.
>
> I don't think there is much difference between open() and v4l2_open(),
> since the former can be changed to the latter using LD_PRELOAD.

Well, if everyone thinks opening more than one fd in v4l2_open() is
okay, I can do that. Probably "if argument is regular file and has .mc
extension, use open_complex"?

> If we simply add v4l2_open_complex() to libv4l, we would have to get
> developers of the applications (regardless of whether they use open()
> or v4l2_open()) to also support v4l2_open_complex(). For testing
> purposes of kernel developers it would work indeed, but I wonder if it
> goes anywhere beyond that.

I'd like people to think "is opening multiple fds okay at this
moment?" before switching to v4l2_open_complex(). But I guess I'm too careful.

> If all we need is some code to be able to test kernel camera drivers,
> I don't think there is any big problem in adding v4l2_open_complex()
> to libv4l. However, we must either ensure that either:
> a) it's not going to be widely used
> OR
> b) it is designed well enough to cover the complex cases I mentioned
> and which are likely to represent most of the hardware in the wild.

.mc descriptors should be indeed extensible enough for that.

Best regards,
									Pavel