Re: [RFC, libv4l]: Make libv4l2 usable on devices with complex pipeline

HI!

> > > Thanks for coming up with this proposal. Please see my comments below.

> > > I'm not convinced if we should really be piggy backing on libv4l, but
> > > it's just a matter of where we put the code added by your patch, so
> > > let's put that aside.
> >
> > There was some talk about this before, and libv4l2 is what we came
> > with. Only libv4l2 is in position to propagate controls to right
> > devices.
> >
> > > Who would be calling this function?
> > >
> > > The scenario that I could think of is:
> > > - legacy app would call open(/dev/video?), which would be handled by
> > > libv4l open hook (v4l2_open()?),
> >
> > I don't think that kind of legacy apps is in use any more. I'd prefer
> > not to deal with them.
>
> In another thread ("[ANN v2] Complex Camera Workshop - Tokyo - Jun,
> 19"), Mauro has mentioned a number of those:
>
> "open source ones (Camorama, Cheese, Xawtv, Firefox, Chromium, ...) and closed
> source ones (Skype, Chrome, ...)"

Thanks for thread pointer... I may be able to get in using hangouts.

Anyway, there's big difference between open("/dev/video0") and
v4l2_open("/dev/video0"). I don't care about the first one, but yes we
should be able to support the second one eventually.

And I don't think Mauro says apps like Camorama are of open() kind.

Best regards,
								Pavel