Re: [RFC, libv4l]: Make libv4l2 usable on devices with complex pipeline

On 03/19/2018 11:47 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em Mon, 19 Mar 2018 11:23:54 +0100
> Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> escreveu:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>>> I really don't want to add functions for this to libv4l2. That's just a
>>> quick hack. The real solution is to parse this from a config
>>> file. But
>>
>> No, this is not a quick hack. These are functions that will eventually
>> be used by the config parser. (Oh and they allow me to use camera on
>> complex hardware, but...).
>>
>> Hmm, I have mentioned that already. See quoted text below.
>>
>>> that is a lot more work and it is something that needs to be designed
>>> properly.
>>>
>>> And that requires someone to put in the time and effort...
>>
>> Which is what I'm trying to do. But some cooperation from your side is
>> needed, too. I acknowledged some kind of parser is needed. I can
>> do that. Are you willing to cooperate?
>>
>> But I need your feedback on the parts below. We can bikeshed about the
>> parser later.
>>
>> Do they look acceptable? Did I hook up right functions in acceptable
>> way?
>>
>> If so, yes, I can proceed with parser.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> 							Pavel
>

> Pavel,
>
> I appreciate your efforts of adding support for mc-based devices to
> libv4l.
>
> I guess the main poin that Hans is pointing is that we should take
> extra care in order to avoid adding new symbols to libv4l ABI/API
> without being sure that they'll be needed in long term, as removing
> or changing the API is painful for app developers, and keeping it
> ABI compatible with apps compiled against previous versions of the
> library is very painful for us.

Indeed. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

> The hole idea is that generic applications shouldn't notice
> if the device is using a mc-based device or not.

What is needed IMHO is an RFC that explains how you want to solve this
problem, what the parser would look like, how this would configure a
complex pipeline for use with libv4l-using applications, etc.

I.e., a full design.

And once everyone agrees that that design is solid, then it needs to be
implemented.

I really want to work with you on this, but I am not looking for partial
solutions.

I think a proper solution is a fair amount of work. If you are willing to
take that on, then that would be fantastic.

Regards,

	Hans