Re: camera control interface

Hi Vinod,

On Tuesday, 29 May 2018 11:29:32 EEST Vinod wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am writing a driver for camera control inteface which is an i2c
> controller. So looking up the code I think it can be a v4l subdev,
> right? Can it be an independent i2c master and not v4l subdev?

What do you mean by "camera control interface" here ? A hardware device
handling communication with camera sensors ? I assume the communication bus is
I2C ? Is that "camera control interface" plain I2C or does it have additional
features ?

If we're talking about an I2C controller a V4L2 subdev is not only unneeded,
but it wouldn't help. You need an I2C master.

> Second the control sports GPIOs. It can support  a set of
> synchronization primitives so it's possible to drive I2C clients and
> GPIOs with hardware controlled timing to allow for sync control of
> sensors hooked and also for fancy strobe. How would we represent these
> gpios in v4l2 and allow the control, any ideas on that.

Even if your main use case it related to camera, synchronization of I2C and
GPIO doesn't seem to be a V4L2 feature to me. It sounds that you need to
implement that int he I2C and GPIO subsystems.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart