Re: Details about DVB frontend API

Am Freitag, 20. November 2009 10:29:34 schrieb Manu Abraham:
> Let me explain a bit. The current issue that persists as Devin explained in
> another email explains things to a certain extend, but still i think it
> might be better to detail further.
>
> Generally a request can be classified to 3 basic types.
>
> 1. Request to acquire, retrieve acquisition details
> 2. Get information (device state, device info)
> 3. Get information (channel statistics)
>

> The first one for example is a request to say tune to a channel, get tuned
> channel details, or even other frontend specific commands such as SEC
> operations. These operations are not very critical with regards on a time
> scale, just that things could be shifted all along on the time scale, the
> worser the implementation, the larger the time "taken to carry around a
> larger set of information to handle the operation". Currently, the V3.x and
> the V5 implementation handles this. The V3 implementation is small and
>  fast, while the V5 implementation is "sluggish".
>

> The second one gets basic device information. The V3 implementation handled
> this to a certain extend, but the V5 implementation hardly handles this and
> the implementation is rather crude rather than being "sophisticated".
>

> The third aspect which is basically needed in most cases for debugging the
> channel properties. If all things were ideal, one wouldn't need to know the
> details on what's going on inside. So being in the far from ideal thing,
>  the requisite to know what happens internally is very much a need in all
>  cases. Another point to be noted is that this category of information is
>  very much critical on a timescale as these parameters are valid for a very
>  certain instances of time only. The more this information gets out of
>  sync, the more these values are meaningless. Also another point to be
>  noted is that all these values when read back together at the very same
>  instance only does make sense. It is indeed very hard to achieve this very
>  short timespan between each of the values being monitored. The larger the
>  bandwidth associated, the larger the error introduced in the readback of
>  the values within the same timeframe in between the reads. So the
>  timeframe has to be the very least possible in between this operation to
>  the device driver internals too..
>

> Although, i have pointed out with this patch what happens at the driver
> level and at the userspace level, There needs additions to the libdvb parts
> to handle whatever conversions from format x to y. This needs to be handled
> since it might not be very easy to be handled consistsently by all
> applications. So in this concept, the application can choose the format
> conversion from the library as well, such that the application can provide
> the statistics in either the the driver native format, or a unified format
> (conversion done by the library) if the user prefers it.
>
> > We are already redefining some existing ioctls there, so it would be
> > clearer for the userspace developers what would be the new way to
> [...]

Hi Manu,

thanks for the detailed explanation of your point. Actually I am not
completely familiar with how the S2API calls are handled internally. Still are
there any proven measurements about the timeframe the calls are being executed
within? - I absolutely see that reading signal statistics is a time critical
process, at least it is important to be able to assign the data to a specific
moment so it can be interpreted in conjunction with the data which is being
received in that moment.
If this would be the only point where the delay is important one might be able
to overcome this by adding timestamps into the retrieved data, although I am
not sure if this would be feasible at all. Anyway having a very good and low-
delay statistics approach would allow realtime applications like sat-finders
to be implemented (provided, the hardware delivers good enough data).
This would let me vote for a direct IOCTL approach to gain the best possible
performance.
Treating signal statistics as a seperate approach from configuring the
frontend would be tolerable for me, so that it could use a different API-
approach than the tuning, which goes with S2API.

I hope you can follow my thoughts and it might be a bit of help for getting
this forward.

Best regards,
Julian