Re: [progress]: dvb_usb_rtl28xxu not tuning "Leadtek Winfast DTV2000 DS PLUS TV"

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 02:32:26PM +1000, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:

> While the problem persists, I managed to find a way around it for now.
>
> I changed the antenna input.
>
> Originally I used a powered splitter to feed all the tuners, and it worked
> well with the out-of-kernel driver. This driver does not build or work with
> a more modern kernel so I shifted to using dvb_usb_rtl28xxu which fails to
> tune.
>
> The new wiring splits (passive) the antenna in two, feeds one side directly
> to the two "Leadtek Winfast DTV2000 DS PLUS TV" cards (through another passive
> 2-way) and the other side goes to the old powered splitter that feeds a few
> USB tuners.
>
> Now all tuners are happy. It seems that the "Leadtek Winfast DTV2000 DS PLUS TV"
> cannot handle the amplified input while the USB tuners require it.
>
> I hope that there is a way to set a profile in dvb_usb_rtl28xxu to attenuate
> the input to an acceptable level thus unravelling the antenna cables rat-nest.

Glad you had some success.

I did some more rummaging in v4l-utils. It may help you to know about
dvb-fe-tool, which gives information about the frontend device
(eg /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0). In particular you can monitor the
s/n as you make changes:

 # dvb-fe-tool --femon -a 0  #here doing adapter0/frontend0

It displays info about the signal quality and the carrier/noise (C/N) ratio,
which might help any investigation of where the driver fails to cope as
you change what you are feeding it.

I noticed your dvbv5-scan showed C/N around 20dB but the manpage shows
'good signal' with C/N of 36dB which suggests the device should be
expected to deal with higher signal levels.

Once you figured out the signal level, did a dvbv5-scan work with no
errors? In the example you showed I saw the channels getting 'lock'
but then some kind of error occurred.

Regards
Vince