Re: Support for direct playback of camera input on imx6q

Hi Stephan,

On Wed, 2017-08-23 at 13:25 +0200, Stephan Bauroth wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I'm trying to directly output a captured video signal to an LVDS
> panel
> on an imx6q. Capturing frames works fine using the staging imx-media
> driver. I can grab JPGs using v4l2grab and I can stream the input to
> the
> display with gstreamer. However, when streaming, one of the cores is
> utilized by ~66%, and I have to use the videoconvert module of
> gstreamer.
>
> The IPU in imx6 can directly stream an captured signal back to the
> display processor (DP) according to [1]. While the capturing paths
> within the IPU are managed by the staging media-imx driver, its
> output
> paths are not, so I can not simply set up links using media-ctl.

We do not support the direct CSI -> DP path because that requires
synchronised clocks between sensor and display. But it is possible to
stream buffers through system RAM without much CPU involvement using
the dmabuf mechanism.

> So, my question is whether it is possible to hook up the captured
> signal
> to the DP using either the ipuv3 driver or the frame buffer driver
> (mxcfb) or something else, and if yes, how?
>
> Thanks for any help and/or hints
> Stephan
>
> [1] http://www.nxp.com/docs/en/reference-manual/IMX6DQRM.pdf, pg.
> 2732
> or chapter 37.1.2.1.4.1, 'Camera Preview'

To avoid CPU copies, you'd have to transfer dmabufs from the V4L2
capture device to the DRM output. On current GStreamer this can be
achieved with a pipeline like:

    v4l2src io-mode=dmabuf ! kmssink

regards
Philipp