Re: [RFC] Global video buffers pool

Hi Guennadi,

On Tuesday 27 October 2009 08:49:15 Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> Hi
>
> This is a general comment to the whole "(contiguous) video buffer" work:
> having given a talk at the ELC-E in Grenoble on soc-camera, I mentioned
> briefly a few related RFCs, including this one. I've got a couple of
> comments back, including the following ones (which is to say, opinions are
> not mine and may or may not be relevant, I'm just fulfilling my promise to
> pass them on;)):
>
> 1) has been requested to move this discussion to a generic mailing list
> like LKML.
>
> 2) the reason for (1) was, obviously, to consider making such a buffer
> pool also available to other subsystems, of which video / framebuffer
> drivers have been mentioned as likely interested parties.

Those are good ideas. The global video buffers pool will sooner or later (and
my guess is sooner) need to interact with X buffers (either for Xv rendering,
or opengl textures). This needs to be discussed globally on the LKML.

> (btw, not sure if this has also been mentioned among those wishes - what
> about DVB? Can they also use such buffers?)

If I'm not mistaken DVB uses read/write syscalls to transfer data from/to the
driver. A video buffers pool wouldn't fit well in that scheme.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart