Re: AVerTV MCE 116 Plus remote

On Sat, Oct 03, 2009 at 09:19:07AM -0400, Andy Walls wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-10-03 at 00:49 +0300, Aleksandr V. Piskunov wrote:
> > Preliminary version of patch adding support for AVerTV MCE 116 Plus remote.
> > This board has an IR sensor is connected to EM78P153S, general purpose 8-bit
> > microcontroller with a 1024 × 13 bits of OTP-ROM. According to i2cdetect, it is
> > sitting on address 0x40.
> >
> > Patch allows ir-kbd-i2c to probe cx2341x boards for this address. Manually
> >
> > As I understand, current I2C/probing code is being redesigned/refactored. Sheer
> > amount of #ifdefs for every second kernel version is making my eyes bleed, so
> > please somebody involved check if patch is ok.
>

> Aleksandr,
>

> > Should I also add the 0x40 address to addr_list[] in ivtv-i2c.c? How to point
> > ivtv to this remote and autoload ir-kbd-i2c?
>
> No.
>

> At first glance, this patch doesn't look safe for all ivtv boards so:
>
> 	Naked-by: Andy Walls <awalls@xxxxxxxxx>
>

> In ivtv-i2c.c I see:
>
> 	#define IVTV_MSP3400_I2C_ADDR           0x40
>
> It is probably not good to assume that only an IR microcontroller could
> be at I2C address 0x40 for a CX2341x adapter.

Yea, that did confuse me too yesterday, saw it while searching sources for 0x40.
Thanks for pointing out the problem! Besides after some testing I don't really like
the way that IR controller behaves, doesn't always catch keypresses, repeats
chaotically and sends wrong keygroup codes from time to time. Basically in order to
get a more or less stable keypress, one has to "doubleclick" the button on remote,
strange..

> I will work up an ivtv specific change similar to what I did in
> cx18-cards.c and cx18-i2c.c for IR on the HVR-1600 for bringing up the
> IR for the M116 cards alone.
>
> What kernel version do you use?

2.8.28, can easily switch to any later for testing.