Re: Bug in S2 API...

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 7:08 AM, hermann pitton <hermann-pitton@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> All fine.
>
> But you do cut off parts of my messages.
>
> I would like to ask you to exercise a breakage, not only for stuff six
> years back, but on recent S2 API.

at this time there are definitely no DVB applications available which
check the flags of the encoded IOCTL values for the S2-API
definitions, there are just very few applications available which use
this API at all.

if (IOCTL_WRITE(cmd))
  copy data into buffer for ioctl

-- from the driver side --
if (IOCTL_WRITE(cmd))
  copy data from the other side
process_ioctl()

At least the API specification should be valid however the rest is
implemented is another story. It works as it is but it's still wrong.
Since the S2-API is rather new it might be better to fix it up. It
would be a little bit weird too that coding style has a higher
priority in Linux than correct code.

it breaks the macros in asm-generic/ioctl.h

#define IOC_INOUT       ((_IOC_WRITE|_IOC_READ) << _IOC_DIRSHIFT)
#define IOC_IN          (_IOC_WRITE << _IOC_DIRSHIFT)
#define IOC_OUT         (_IOC_READ << _IOC_DIRSHIFT)
#define _IOC_DIR(nr)            (((nr) >> _IOC_DIRSHIFT) & _IOC_DIRMASK)

Basically I don't mind too much since we already maintain our own
version which also supports other unix systems and is not limited to
linux only...

Markus