Re: Hw capabilities of the HVR-2200

**a repost because of earlier issues in getting emails to the list**

Hi Kernellabs or anyone involved with driver development of the
HVR-2200...

Hello.

You're starting to see me as a nemesis now aren't you?
I'm really a nice person, I promise! :-D

I know this is a loooong way down the priority list of features to be
added, if ever!
But I'm wanting to know if the *possibility* is there 'hardware-wise'
for the following:

1) h.263/mpeg4/VC-1/DivX/Xvid hardware encode of A/V-in

Yes, this exists in hardware on the SAA7164 and therefore the HVR2200 and HVR2250.

Thank-you.

2) Component input for the A/V-in

Yes, this exists on the HVR2250 product only.

Ah shite, are you sure?
If you look at the specs for the reference card it was there, did they take it out at the last minute?

3) Hw encode bypass for A/V-in

No idea. Regardless of whether it does or does not I wouldn't plan to add basic raw TV support to the driver, without going through the encoder.

Why do you rule it out unequivocally, is it just because I've annoyed you? :-(

The only reason I suggest this is because it'd be nice to have the option to offload encoding to some other device or to 'soft-encode'.

Of course demand for such functionality would prolly be the lowest, so it's understandable if it's the last thing implemented, if at all.

4) Is Hw encode purely for A/V-in? (hauppauge's site suggests
otherwise but it may be a typo)

Yes.

Thank-you.