Re: RFCv2: Media controller proposal

Hi Hans,

On Thursday 10 September 2009 17:00:40 Hans Verkuil wrote:

> > > Not sure what you mean.
> >
> > Instead of having a device node for each entity, the ioctls for each
> > entities are done on the media controller-node address an entity by ID.
>
> I definitely don't want to go there. Use device nodes (video, fb, alsa,
> dvb, etc) for streaming the actual media as we always did and use the
> media controller for controlling the board. It keeps everything nicely
> separate and clean.

I agree with this, but I think it might be what Patrick meant as well.

Beside enumeration and link setup, the media controller device will allow
direct access to entities to get/set controls and formats. As such its API
will overlap with the V4L2 control and format API. This is not a problem at
all, both having different use cases (control/format at the V4L2 level are
meant for "simple" applications in a backward-compatible fashion, and
control/format at the media controller level are meant for power users).

V4L2 devices will be used for streaming video as that's what they do best. We
don't want a video streaming API at the media controller level (not completely
true, as we are toying with the idea of shared video buffers, but that's for
later).

In the long term I can imagine the V4L2 control/format ioctls being deprecated
and all control/format access being done through the media controller. That's
very long term though.

--
Laurent Pinchart