Re: Reliable work-horse capture device?

On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 21:02 -0700, David Liontooth wrote:
> [...]
> >>
> >> I need zvbi-ntsc-cc support, so a big thanks to Michael Krufty for just
> >> now adding it to em28xx. Do any other USB device chipsets have raw
> >> closed captioning support?
> >>
> >> I would also consider using the PCIe device Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200,
> >> but I need analog support.
> >>
> >> Appreciate any advice.
> >>

> > If you look for stability, the most important item is to choose a good stable
> > server distribution, like RHEL5. You'll be better serviced than using a desktop
> > distro with some new (not so stable) kernel and tools.
> >
> > In terms of stability, the PCI devices are generally more reliable, and, among
> > all drivers, bttv is the winner, since it is the older driver, so, in thesis,
> > more bugs were solved on it. That's the reason why several surveillance systems
> > are still today based on bttv. If you need a newer hardware, then you may choose
> > saa7134, cx88 or ivtv devices.
> >
> > I don't recommend using an USB hardware for such hard usage: it will probably
> > have a shorter life (since it is not as ventilated as a PCI device on a
> > server cabinet), and you might experience troubles after long plays. In terms
> > of USB with analog support, em28xx driver is the more stable, and we recently
> > fixed some bugs on it, related to memory consumption along the time (it used to
> > forget to free memory, resulting on crashes, after several stream
> > start/stop's).
> >
> > There's a tool at v4l2-apps/test made to stress a video driver, made by
> > Douglas. I suggest that you should run it with the board you'll choose to be
> > sure that you won't have memory garbage along driver usage.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mauro
> >
> Thank you, Mauro! I much appreciate the advice.
>
> I also see I misattributed the zvbi-ntsc-cc support for em28xx -- kudos
> goes to Devin Heitmueller for great work on this.
>
> As for the ventilation issue for USB devices, that may not be a serious
> obstacle. If the USB sticks such as Hauppauge HVR-950 have reliable
> components, we could strip the plastic casing and mount the unit next to
> a fan inside the case.
>
> Memory leaks would be a serious problem on the other hand; thank you for
> pointing to the stress test.
>
> I would be happy to use bttv, but I can't find cards. I also need to
> grab audio off the PCI bus, which only some bttv cards support.
>
> We've been using saa7135 cards for several years with relatively few
> incidents, but they occasionally drop audio.
> I've been unable to find any pattern in the audio drops, so I haven't
> reported it -- I have no way to reproduce the error, but it happens
> regularly, affecting between 3 and 5% of recordings. Audio will
> sometimes drop in the middle of a recording and then resume, or else
> work fine on the next recording.
>
> Our fallback is ivtv. I was hoping to use USB so that we could get
> blades instead of 3U cases; it's also getting hard to find good

I will point out that, for a fallback position, the cx18 driver also
performs very reliably with essentially the same feature set as ivtv
(since it started out as a cut and paste from ivtv).

The HVR-1600 is the card with which I do most of my testing.  It is a
PCI bus device and can perform analog (with VBI) and digital capture
simultaneously, but not 2 analog streams simultaneously.  I know of two
users who have at least 3 of these boards in one machine.  (I mention
the HVR-1600, in case you have a hard time finding the PVR-500 or
similar analog only cards.)

Of course for you, it sounds like one analog capture device per PCI slot
is suboptimal.  From a bus throughput perspective, I'd assume you'd
really want a multiple analog input PCI or PCIe capture card, that could
do compression on board.

Regards,
Andy