Re: [linuxtv-commits] [hg:v4l-dvb] cx25840: fix determining the firmware name

Em Mon, 7 Sep 2009 18:21:01 -0400
Michael Krufky <mkrufky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> Mauro,
>
> For the Conexant *reference designs* the firmwares are identical, yes.
>
> If you look at the windows drivers, there are some additional bits
> used for separate firmwares depending on which actual silicon is
> present.  This is specific to the implementation by the vendors.

If firmware versions are vendor-specific, then the patch "cx25840: fix
determining the  firmware name" doesn't work, since people may have two boards
with the same silicon from different vendors, each requiring his own
vendor-specific firmware.

The solution seems to have a setup parameter with the firmware name, adding the
firmware name at the *-cards.c, like what's done with xc3028 firmwares. This
also means that we need vendor's rights to distribute the specific firmwares.

> Not everybody is using the firmware images that you are pointing at...
>  There is in fact a need to keep the filenames separate.  Some
> firmware for one silicon may conflict with firmware for other silicon.
>
> -Mike
> --

Cheers,
Mauro