Re: [RFC] Pixel format definition on the "image" bus

> On Thu, 27 Aug 2009, Hans Verkuil wrote:
>
>> It's my opinion that we have to be careful in trying to be too
>> intelligent. There is simply too much variation in hardware out there to
>> ever hope to be able to do that.
>
> An opinion has been expressed, that my proposed API was too complex, that,
> for example, the .packing parameter was not needed. Just to give an
> argument, why it is indeed needed, OMAP 3 can pack raw 10, 12, (and 14?)
> bit data in two ways in RAM, so, a sensor would use the .packing parameter
> to specify how its data has to be arranged in RAM to produce a specific
> fourcc code.

One thing that I do not understand in your proposal: how would a sensor
know how its data is going to be arranged in RAM? It knows nothing about
that. It can just transport the image data over the data pins in a certain
number of formats, but how those are eventually arranged in RAM is
something that only the bridge driver will know.

A sensor should tell how its data is transported over the data pins, not
what it will look like in RAM.

Regards,

        Hans