Re: [RFC] Pixel format definition on the "image" bus

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009, Hans Verkuil wrote:

> It's my opinion that we have to be careful in trying to be too
> intelligent. There is simply too much variation in hardware out there to
> ever hope to be able to do that.

An opinion has been expressed, that my proposed API was too complex, that,
for example, the .packing parameter was not needed. Just to give an
argument, why it is indeed needed, OMAP 3 can pack raw 10, 12, (and 14?)
bit data in two ways in RAM, so, a sensor would use the .packing parameter
to specify how its data has to be arranged in RAM to produce a specific
fourcc code.

Thanks
Guennadi
---