Re: [RFC] Infrared Keycode standardization

On Thursday 27 August 2009 18:06:51 Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 5:58 PM, Mauro Carvalho
> Chehab<mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Em Thu, 27 Aug 2009 21:36:36 +0300
> > Ville Syrjälä <syrjala@xxxxxx> escreveu:
> >

> >> I welcome this effort. It would be nice to have some kind of consistent
> >> behaviour between devices. But just limiting the effort to IR devices
> >> doesn't make sense. It shouldn't matter how the device is connected.
> >
> > Agreed.
> >

> >> FASTWORWARD,REWIND,FORWARD and BACK aren't very clear. To me it would
> >> make most sense if FASTFORWARD and REWIND were paired and FORWARD and
> >> BACK were paired. I actually have those two a bit confused in
> >> ati_remote2 too where I used FASTFORWARD and BACK. I suppose it should
> >> be REWIND instead.
> >
> > Makes sense. I updated it at the wiki. I also tried to group the keycodes by
> > function there.
> >
> >> Also I should probably use ZOOM for the maximize/restore button (it's
> >> FRONT now), and maybe SETUP instead of ENTER for another. It has a
> >> picture of a checkbox, Windows software apparently shows a setup menu
> >> when it's pressed.
> >>
> >> There are also a couple of buttons where no keycode really seems to
> >> match. One is the mouse button drag. I suppose I could implement the
> >> drag lock feature in the driver but I'm not sure if that's a good idea.
> >> It would make that button special and unmappable. Currently I have that
> >> mapped to EDIT IIRC.
> >
> > I'm not sure what we should do with those buttons.
> >
> > Probably, the most complete IR spec is the RC5 codes:
> >        http://c6000.spectrumdigital.com/davincievm/revf/files/msp430/rc5_codes.pdf
> > (not sure if this table is complete or accurate, but on a search I did
> > today, this is the one that gave me a better documentation)
> >
> > I suspect that, after solving the most used cases, we'll need to take a better look on it,
> > identifying the missing cases of the real implementations and add them to input.h.
> >
> >> The other oddball button has a picture of a stopwatch (I think, it's
> >> not very clear). Currently it uses COFFEE, but maybe TIMER or something
> >> like that should be added. The Windows software's manual just say it
> >> toggles TV-on-demand, but I have no idea what that actually is.
> >
> > Hmm... Maybe TV-on-demand is another name for pay-per-view?
> >

> > Cheers,
> > Mauro
> > --
> >

> Since we're on the topic of IR support, there are probably a couple of
> other things we may want to be thinking about if we plan on
> refactoring the API at all:
>
> 1.  The fact that for RC5 remote controls, the tables in ir-keymaps.c
> only have the second byte.  In theory, they should have both bytes
> since the vendor byte helps prevents receiving spurious commands from
> unrelated remote controls.  We should include the ability to "ignore
> the vendor byte" so we can continue to support all the remotes
> currently in the ir-keymaps.c where we don't know what the vendor byte
> [...]

Jon Smirl actually wrote some fully functional proof-of-concept IR
handling code about a year ago, that included auto-detection and auto
decoding of several protocols. Perhaps some of that is relevant and
reusable here? (I still have a copy of the tree here somewhere...)

I've been toying with the notion of extending the input device support
that was added to the lirc_imon driver a bit ago, and add a full key
map that delivers events (we already do this for mouse functionality),
but include the ability to also use the remote and/or receiver in a
raw IR mode with lircd. Wouldn't be terribly difficult I think to do
something similar for the standard MCE remotes and receivers... Just
a simple matter of some time and some code. Unfortunately, I'm a bit
short on the time part right now...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod@xxxxxxxxxxxx