Re: New tree with final (?) string control implementation

> Hi Hans,
>
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 11:54:46PM +0200, ext Hans Verkuil wrote:
>> Hi Eduardo,
>>
>> I've prepared a new tree:
>>
>> http://www.linuxtv.org/hg/~hverkuil/v4l-dvb-strctrl
>
> good.
>

>> This contains the full string control implementation, including updates
>> the v4l2-spec, based on the RFC that I posted on Monday.
>
> Right.
>

>> Can you prepare your si4713 patches against this tree and verify that
>> everything is working well?
>
> Sure, I've been off work last two weeks. But now I'm back and will get
> this
> task soon.
>

>> If it is, then I can make a pull request for this tree and soon after
>> that
>> you should be able to merge your si4713 driver as well. If I'm not
>> mistaken
>> the string controls API is the only missing bit that prevents your
>> driver
>> from being merged.
>
> Yeah. There use to have three dependencies: subdev changes (i2c),
> modulator
> capabilities and ext ctl string support. I recall now that subdev is
> already
> merged. I'm not sure about the modulator support.

That was also merged about a week ago. So this is now the only missing piece.

Two things to keep in mind when preparing the new patches:

1) The v4l2-spec documentation on the new string controls must also
specify what character encoding is used. In this case you can refer to the
RDS standard.

2) In media/video/v4l2-common.c there is a function
v4l2_ctrl_is_pointer(). This should return 1 for all string controls. It
is needed to ensure that string controls are converted correctly in
v4l2-compat-ioctl32.c. Not really an issue on most embedded systems, but
on intel platforms it is important to get this right.

Regards,

       Hans