Re: offering bounty for GPL'd dual em28xx support

Em Wed, 22 Jul 2009 12:02:48 -0400
Devin Heitmueller <dheitmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> Hello Mauro,
>
> As far as I know, the em28xx has no capability to adjust the frame
> rate.  It will forward the frames at whatever rate the ITU656 stream
> is delivered from the decoder.

Ok. So, the fps changing will be limited to the decoder and/or sensor that
supports it.

>  I also don't think the tvp5150 will
> deliver frames at any rather other than the NTSC/PAL standard in
> question (but I would have to double-check the tvp5150 datasheet to be
> sure).

On a very quick check on saa7114/saa7115 and tvp5150, I couldn't find any way
do do spatial decimation to reduce fps. So, it seems that we'll have this
feature only with webcams where such type of control is common.

> I would like to spend some time looking closer at the formula used to
> calculate the set_alternate() call.  I just haven't had the time to
> invest in such an investigation given all the other stuff I am working
> on right now (in particular the three or four em28xx devices I am
> adding support for, the xc4000 driver work, and hvr-950q analog
> fixes).

Maybe that magic calculus took from experimentation are due to vbi and/or audio
streams. It would be nice to adjust it to be less conservative.

> I didn't know about the 80% utilization cap for isoc, so thanks for
> providing the reference to that previous thread, which has some pretty
> interesting information.

Anytime.

Cheers,
Mauro