Re: offering bounty for GPL'd dual em28xx support

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 11:47 PM, Steve Castellotti<sc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 07/21/2009 07:32 PM, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
>>
>> I agree that *in theory* you should be able to do two devices.  A back
>> of the envelope calculation of 640x480 at 30fps in YUVY capture should
>> be about 148Mbps.  That said, I don't think the scenario you are
>> describing has really been tested/debugged previously.  If I had to
>> guess, my suspicion would be a bug in the driver code that calculates
>> which USB alternate mode to operate in, which results in the driver
>> reserving more bandwidth than necessary.
>>
>> I would have dig into the code and do some testing in order to have a
>> better idea where the problem is.  Do you have a specific em28xx
>> product in mind that you intend to use?
>>

>    Well in theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in
> practice there is (c:
>

>    More than happy to coordinate some testing of a variety of em28xx devices
> we have handy around the office if it would help isolate any bugs. We could
> throw some QA resource at the problem if nothing else.
>

>    One of the devices we're supposed to be able to acquire in bulk is
> no-name brand that simply says "VC-211A" on the label. "lsusb" output looks
> like this:
>
> ID eb1a:2861 eMPIA Technology, Inc.
>

>    The other says "GrabBeeX+ deluxe" and has this identifier:
>

> ID eb1a:2821 eMPIA Technology, Inc.
>

>    We have a 2-3 others on hand as well.
>

>    Once again, thanks for the responsiveness and please let me know what we
> can do to contribute.

Well, I think I own something like nine different em28xx products, so
I should be able to hook a couple of them up at the same time and
debug the issue.  The only issue at this point is that I already have
a rather full plate of issues I am currently working.

I'll see if I can schedule some cycles in the next couple of weeks to
take a look (unless someone else wants to step up and debug the
issue).

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs