Re: Sakar 57379 USB Digital Video Camera...

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009, Andy Walls wrote:

On Mon, 2009-06-22 at 10:51 -0500, Theodore Kilgore wrote:

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009, Andy Walls wrote:

On Sun, 2009-06-21 at 22:39 -0500, Theodore Kilgore wrote:
Andy,

You are right. Your camera is emitting JPEG while streaming. I just
succeeded in creating an image which resembles your test picture by
extracting the frame data for one frame, tacking on a header, and running
hex2bin on the combined file. I did not get the thing quite right, because
your header is from your JPEG photo (640x480) and your stream is probably
320x240. But I got something out which is obviously recognizable.

Excellent.  Going from "It may never work" to "something recognizable"
in one weekend is good progress.

Well, sometimes the easy and obvious just works, and one is lucky. If only
they were all that easy.

I'd contend most would be easy and obvious, as anything created by
people is usually easy to understand.  People are generally lazy and
want to avoid what they perceive as extra effort.  If you couple that
with management pressure on engineers to keep costs down and maintain
project schedules, you often end up with very simple solutions.

There is some truth to this, yes.

The data encoding used by the camera is indicative of that.  For this
camera, the engineers decided to simply drop the (M)JPEG headers to save
USB communications bandwidth instead of using a different, better
compression algorithm; or a imlementing new USB 2.0 interface.

Besides, as we well know, this list is a place
where geniuses hang out. So perhaps some of the pixie dust has rubbed off
on us.

I thought genius was inspiration and perspiration. Pixie dust - I knew
Edison wasn't telling the whole truth. ;)

Therefore with a little bit of further tweaking it will presumably come
out exactly so. Namely, I have to remember where to stick the two
dimensions into the header.

Found that, as I said yesterday evening.

Yes, as far as I'm concerned the problem is solved.  The details are
left as an exercise for the reader. ;)

I will try to get on it. There is nothing left but details, but there are
lots of those.

Yes, I agree.  Getting those right is no small task.

The first one is to get the header exactly right.

Well,  given that the Windows driver has the AVI video stream FourCC
'vids' appearing four or five times, I suspect there is more than 1
header template that the Windows driver can tack on to the incoming
stream.  I'm guessing that which one is used, depends on how the camera
stream is initialized.

Sort of, yes. At least that is the way it looks over here. The sequence of button-push steps for initializing my camera to do streaming is just about the same as that for inducing it to shoot an AVI, and then the question is whether you turned on capturing from the computer or not. If you did, then you get a stream. If you didn't then it seems the camera makes an AVI.

There are probably all sorts of header permutations that will yield
viewable but suboptimal reconstruction. :(

Then again it's a cheap webcam, so by definition any image is probably
suboptimal.

Well, interestingly, your header and mine, when affixed to my one frame, are doing about equally well. But the two headers seem to differ from each other.

<snip>

I'm not up to speed on Linux webcam kernel to userspace API details.
However, might I suggest going forward for testing at least, that when
one starts the webcam streaming, the driver emit the stream in the form
of an AVI.  You'd need an AVI header declaring only an MJPEG 'vids'
stream - no 'auds' nor 'idx' - and a 'movi' section with RIFF/AVI chunks
that have MJPEG headers and the webcam payload.

For all I know, it might be just a matter of following down a standard
path. Perhaps this is all handled already in libv4lconvert, and it is
merely a matter of plugging into that. I haven't checked yet, but that is
more or less what I expect right now.

Ah, OK.

Revision:

It seems that some other drivers are providing the jpeg header. There is a file gspca/jpeg.h from which to get it. So perhaps libv4lconvert is not much involved after all. As I said, I have not yet looked seriously into this. I spent yesterday evening trying to write a module, with which I tried to grab a raw frame (no header, no nothing) and it did not succeed. Clearly, my efforts need to be refined.

I haven't seen evidence that audio comes from the webcam when it is
streaming, but I haven't looked very much either.

Same. Actually, my impression is that these cameras can not walk and chew
gum at the same time. I would suspect that the audio is an either/or kind
of thing. Either on, and it can record audio but not stream it, or off. I
would be very surprised if an el cheapo like the one I have could do more.
I could be wrong, of course. Perhaps both of us ought to check closely.

I know it can simultaneously record audio and video to an AVI file in
it's local storage.  I'm thinking it would not make sense to shovel over
audio in webcam mode anyway, as most computers have their own microphone
to collect sound.

Hmmm. If your cam is working like mine (do the same things, basically, to shoot an AVI and to stream, I mean), then it probably could do the same thing while streaming. Could you look into that?

<snip>

I have no timeline in mind.  Having this webcam work will simply be a
"nice to have".  I'm available for testing and any
investigation/research that you don't have time to do.

I don't know how long I can continue to spend so much time on this. There is the end of the summer session this Friday, with a final exam and grades to compute. Then as I said we are going on vacation on July 7. After we are back again, well, then there is time again for this kind of thing.

Theodore Kilgore