Re: Convert cpia driver to v4l2, drop parallel port version support?

On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 09:43 +0200, Hans Verkuil wrote:

> > I personally think that loosing support for the parallel port
> > version is ok given that the parallel port itslef is rapidly
> > disappearing, what do you think ?
>
> I agree wholeheartedly. If we remove pp support, then we can also remove
> the bw-qcam and c-qcam drivers since they too use the parallel port.

Maybe I just like keeping old hardware up and running, but...

I think it may be better to remove camera drivers when a majority of the
actual camera hardware is likely to reach EOL, as existing parallel
ports will likely outlive the cameras.

My PC I got in Dec 2005 has a parellel port, as does the motherboard I
purchased 2008.

I have a 802.11g router (ASUS WL-500g) with a parallel port.  It works
nicely as a remote print server.  From my perspective, that parallel
port isn't going away anytime soon.

<irrelevant aside>
At least the custom firmware for the WL-500g
( http://oleg.wl500g.info/ ) has the ability to use webcams for snapping
pictures and emailing away a notification.  I'm pretty sure PP webcams
are not actually supported though.

The wireless router surveillance case is probably not relevant though,
as routers are usually using (very) old kernels.
</irrelevant aside>

-Andy