Re: Convert cpia driver to v4l2, drop parallel port version support?

> Em Wed, 17 Jun 2009 09:43:50 +0200 (CEST)
> "Hans Verkuil" <hverkuil@xxxxxxxxx> escreveu:
>
>> > I recently have been bying second hand usb webcams left and right
>> > one of them (a creative unknown model) uses the cpia1 chipset, and
>> > works with the v4l1 driver currently in the kernel.
>> >
>> > One of these days I would like to convert it to a v4l2 driver using
>> > gspca as basis, this however will cause us to use parallel port
>> support
>> > (that or we need to keep the old code around for the parallel port
>> > version).
>> >
>> > I personally think that loosing support for the parallel port
>> > version is ok given that the parallel port itslef is rapidly
>> > disappearing, what do you think ?
>>
>> I agree wholeheartedly. If we remove pp support, then we can also remove
>> the bw-qcam and c-qcam drivers since they too use the parallel port.
>
> Maybe I'm too nostalgic, but those are the first V4L drivers. It would be
> fun
> to keep supporting them with V4L2 API ;)

I have a pms ISA card and it is still on my list to convert that one to
V4L2. Shouldn't be difficult. It is my understanding that that is the very
first v4l driver, so that should satisfy any nostalgic feelings :-)

> That's said, while it is probably not that hard to develop a gspca-pp
> driver,
> I'm not against removing parallel port support or even removing those
> drivers
> due to technical reasons, like the end of V4L1 drivers.
>
> By looking at the remaining V4L1 drivers, we have:
>
> 	ov511 - already implemented with V4L2 on gspca. Can be easily removed;
>
> 	se401, stv680, usbvideo, vicam - USB V4L1 drivers. IMO, it is valuable
> 		to convert them to gspca;
>
> 	cpia2, pwc - supports both V4L1 and V4L2 API. It shouldn't be hard to
> convert them
> 		to vidio_ioctl2 and remove V4L1 API.
>
> 	stradis - a saa7146 V4L1 only driver - I never understood this one well,
> since there is
> 		already another saa7146 driver running V4L2, used by mxb, hexium_gemini
> and
> 		hexium_orion. To make things worse, stradis, mxb and hexium_orion are
> registering for
> 		the same PCI device (the generic saa7146 PCI ID). If nobody volunteers
> to convert
> 		and test with V4L2, then maybe we can just remove it. The better
> conversion would
> 		probably be to use the V4L2 support at the saa7146 driver.
>
> 	arv - seems to be a VGA output driver - Only implements 3 ioctls:
> 		VIDIOCGCAP and VIDIOCGWIN/VIDIOCSWIN. It shouldn't be hard to convert it
> to V4L2.
> 		I'm not sure if this is still used in practice.
>
> 	bw-qcam, pms, c-qcam, cpia, w9966 - very old drivers that use direct io
> and/or parport;
>
> IMO, after having all USB ID's for se401, stv680, usbvideo and vicam
> devices supported
> by a V4L2 driver, we can just remove V4L1 ioctls from cpia2 and pwc, and
> the drivers that
> will still remain using only the legacy API can be dropped. Anything more
> converted will be a bonus

I have a cpia2 device as well that I can use to test.

Regards,

        Hans