Re: GPL code for Omnivision USB video camera available.

On 06/15/2009 03:01 AM, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 18:12:10 +1000
Hans de Goede<hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

Getting ovfx2 support into the mainline kernel sounds like a good idea!

I'm not such a big fan of merging the driver as is though, as it does
its own buffer management (and ioctl handling, usb interrupt handling,
locking, etc).

I understand completely.

Good!

For adding the ovfx2 driver, you could start by copying ov519.c, which
already has setup and control code fro most ov sensors and then rewrite
the bridge part to be ovfx2 code, then later we can try to move the
sensor code to a shared c file for the ov519 and ovfx2 driver, depending
on how much you needed to change the sensor code. Or you could add
support for the ovfx2 to the ov519 driver.

Note I've recently being doing quite a bit of work on the ov519 driver,
adding support for the ov511 and ov518 and adding more controls. I'll
make a mercurial tree available with my latest code in it asap.

Ok, there's the rub. I am simply way too busy at the moment to push this
through myself.

I was hoping I could contract someone to take the existing code and
massage it into shape ready for merging. I would prefer it if that
someone was already a V4L hacker, but if I can't find anyone with
pre-existing V4L experience I'll find someone local with general
Linux kernel/driver experience.

Well I can't offer you contracting, as I simply do not have the spare time
to make such promises, but as any good hacker: "will work for hardware"
on a I'll do my best but no promises made basis.

I'm actually spending quite a bit of time lately on v4l stuff again,
and I'm sure willing to spend some time on this. I can even promise you
I'll bump it to the top of the list of my v4l projects.

For a general idea how deep I'm involved in v4l webcam support see:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BetterWebcamSupport

Regards,

Hans