Re: Creating a V4L driver for a USB camera

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 14:02:37 +1000
Theodore Kilgore <kilgota@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well, if you are interested in using the camera as a still camera, then
probably you ought also to send an inquiry over to

gphoto-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

because that is, basically, where the still camera support is done, not
here.

Well our current camera has a V4L based driver so we'd like to stick
to that :-).

As I explained, it is a matter of what one wants to do with the camera which kind of driver one wants to construct. Also it is a matter of what exactly that the particular camera will do. To take the two extreme cases:

-- if you have a camera which will not act as a webcam, a V4L driver will probably not materialize.

-- if you have a webcam which has no ability to act as a still camera, then no Gphoto driver will materialize.

And if the camera can do both of the above, then it is possible (and it occurs, too) that the camera has a Gphoto driver for its still camera functionality and it has a V4L driver for its webcam functionality. But the still camera and webcam functions are conceptually different and require distinct methodologies to support them in Linux.

In other words, the kind of software support which is required by new camera X is determined by the properties of camera X alone. That was my point.

Ok, to the lsusb -v info:

   Bus 001 Device 011: ID 0547:8031 Anchor Chips, Inc.
   Device Descriptor:
     bLength                18
     bDescriptorType         1
     bcdUSB               2.00
     bDeviceSubClass         0
     bDeviceProtocol         0
     bMaxPacketSize0        64
     idVendor           0x0547 Anchor Chips, Inc.
     idProduct          0x8031
     bcdDevice            0.00
     iManufacturer           1
     iProduct                2
     iSerial                 0
     bNumConfigurations      1
     Configuration Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         2
       wTotalLength           32
       bNumInterfaces          1
       bConfigurationValue     1
       iConfiguration          0
       bmAttributes         0x80
         (Bus Powered)
       MaxPower              100mA
       Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType         4
         bInterfaceNumber        0
         bAlternateSetting       0
         bNumEndpoints           2
         bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
         bInterfaceSubClass      0
         bInterfaceProtocol      0
         iInterface              0
         Endpoint Descriptor:
           bLength                 7
           bDescriptorType         5
           bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
           bmAttributes            3
             Transfer Type            Interrupt
             Synch Type               None
             Usage Type               Data
           wMaxPacketSize     0x0004  1x 4 bytes
           bInterval               0
         Endpoint Descriptor:
           bLength                 7
           bDescriptorType         5
           bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
           bmAttributes            2
             Transfer Type            Bulk
             Synch Type               None
             Usage Type               Data
           wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
           bInterval               0

The "Vendor Specific Class" above suggests that this camera does not
behave like a proper USV video or still camera, but rather uses its
own protocol (just like the camera we are replacing).

Yes. That seems quite clear.

I have managed to convince the manufactuer of the fact that its a
good idea to provide some information and/or windows source code,
but as yet I can't predict how good that information will be.

If the manufacturer truly provides meaningful information, that would be very good. Therefore, I restrain myself from expressing general pessimism about the prospects.

Theodore Kilgore