Re: Creating a V4L driver for a USB camera

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 16:18:33 +1000
Erik Andrén <erik.andren@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Do you have any datasheet available on what usb bridge / sensor that is used?

The USB device itself comes up as :

   Bus 001 Device 011: ID 0547:8031 Anchor Chips, Inc

The sensor is a Micron MT9T001P12STC and I have the data sheet for it.

I've asked the manufacturer for source code to the windows driver
and docs/source/whatever for the USB interface.

If the chipsets are undocumented and some proprietary image
compression technique is used, the time to reverse-engineer them can
be quite lengthy.

I happen to know that the sensor/camera (via the windows driver) can
provide raw bayer data which is what I'm after (our application is
machine vision and bayer works best).

Cheers,
Erik

If this is the case, then it ought not to be terribly difficult to write a basic driver. If you wanted still camera support, with which I have a bit more experience than with streaming support, I would say it would take me about a week or so. The real obstacle is proprietary data compression which is usually totally undocumented, as others have already said.

Of course, I said above "basic" driver. That does not include things like color balance, contrast, or brightness controls. Such would probably take a little bit longer.

From what I read here, I think you will have good luck if you follow
through with this project.

Theodore Kilgore

(Greetings from the monthly meeting of the East Alabama LUG)