Re: [PULL] http://kernellabs.com/hg/~dheitmueller/misc-fixes

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
<mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Em Sat, 23 May 2009 03:48:21 +0200 (CEST)
> BOUWSMA Barry <freebeer.bouwsma@xxxxxxxxx> escreveu:
>
>> On Thu, 21 May 2009, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
>>
>> > em28xx: Don't let device work unless connected to a high speed USB port
>>
>> (grrr, dyndns addresses that are actually dynamically changing)
>>
>> |    The em28xx basically just doesn't work at 12 Mbps. The isoc pipe needs
>> |    nearly 200 Mbps for analog support, so users would see garbage video,
>> |    and on
>> |    the DVB/ATSC side scanning is likely to work but if the user tried to
>> |    tune it
>> |    would certainly appear to have failed.
>> |    It's better to fail explicity up front and tell the user to plug into a
>> |    USB 2.0
>>
>> Hi Devin,
>>
>> I've spent the last night trying to wrap my brane around the
>> DVB code and how it reflects on the ability of hardware to
>> perform PID filtering or not, thereby the expected load due
>> to interrupts and filtering in the CPU.
>>
>> If my current machine is being fed a single stream from a
>> lower-bandwidth source (not sure where the filtering to a
>> crummy audio stream is being performed, but even the full
>> bandwidth available from a 1,5MHz-wide chunk of spectrum is
>> well within USB1.1), load is negligible.  Multicasting the
>> filtered data back out over a USB1.1 net adapter bumps up
>> the interrupt load somewhat, but `top' idle time remains
>> high.
>
> There are some cases where USB 1.1 is fine, being the most trivial example the
> FM radio reception.
>
> The trouble with em28xx and 1.5 Mbps or 12 Mbps is that, currently, em28xx
> doesn't limit its usage to fit into lower bus bandwidth.
>
> So, it would accept users call to provide non-compressed analog TV, at maximum
> resolution and at 30 fps even without having enough bandwidth at USB. It won't
> even generate a warning at dmesg. The problem will be noticed only due to the
> video garbage.
>
> So, the right solution to support 12 Mbps (or even 1.5 Mbps) would be to have
> some routines there to estimate the maximum bus bandwidth and to deny requests
> that would exceed it. Another alternative would be to have a whitelist for
> those devices that works fine with usb 1.1 (for example ISDB-T 1 seg and DVB-H
> devices without analog).
>
> I don't think it would be a worthy trial to do such patch (since USB 3.0 is
> arriving the market and USB 1.1 is an old standard), but if someone write such
> patch, we may later revert this one.
>
> While we don't have this, it is better to just deny rates lower than 480 Mbps.
>
> That's said, the reasons given at the patch for nacking USB low speed (on both
> the driver and the patch descriptions) are not ok, since the problem is not
> that em28xx only works with usb 2.0 or that all DVB streams will fail.
>
> Instead of:
>
> +       /* Make sure they are connected to a USB 2.0 port.  If the device is
> [...]

Hello Mauro,

I certainly agree that when we start supporting ISDB-T, we may need to
revisit the logic (if we actually care about supporting 12Mbps).

I will update the comment and issue a new PULL request, as you proposed.

Thanks,

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs