Re: Review of the Linux driver for the TerraTec Cinergy HTC USB XS HD stick

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Devin Heitmueller
<dheitmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Ad Denissen <ad.denissen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Markus,
>>
>> I have a TerraTec Cinergy HTC USB XS HD stick and more than 10 years of
>> experience with Linux (drivers).
>>
>> This USB stick works fine under Windows, but I need it under Linux
>> for my MythTV experiments in DVB-C mode.
>>
>> Can I help you in the cleanup of the Linux driver for this device?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Ad Denissen
>
> Hello Ad,
>
> The TerraTec Cinergy HTC USB XS HD makes use of the Micronas drx-k
> demodulator.  There is currently no driver at all for this device in
> the mainline Linux kernel.  As a result, getting the device to work in
> the mainline kernel is much more than "cleanup".
>
> Markus's support for the drx-k uses his closed source product, and
> therefore is not eligible for inclusion in the Linux kernel.  You may
> wish to contact him though if you are interested in a commercial
> closed source solution.

You still mistake that the important drivers are not implemented in
Kernelspace, because
of that there will never be a _requirement_ to merge the chipdrivers
in order to get it work.
For example DVB-C/T, all control commands are sent to the frontend
device node all those
commands are intercepted at userlevel while still being compatible
with legacy applications like
kaffeine or dvbscan.

regards,
Markus