Re: [PULL] http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/v4l-dvb

On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 21:41 -0700, Matt Beadon wrote:
> Hi there,
> I'm not really following the technical discussion here but I was
> hoping that one of you could let me know if this patch is going into
> the source tree and more specifically when I could pull it from
> mercurial?
>
> thanks
> Matt
>
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 6:25 PM, hermann pitton
> <hermann-pitton@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>         > > >
>         > > > That is this MK4 tuner=54 stuff, IIRC. (no tda9887)
>

>         The follow up you might have and I'm not subscribed to
>         ivtv.devel.
>         (it always worked well nevertheless, tuner=57 was meant)
>
>         > > The TCL MNM05-4 appears to have a TDA9887 based on tuner
>         chip
>         > > autodetection:
>         > >

>         Eventually what really happened is here.
>
>         >       switch (priv->type) {
>         >       case TUNER_TENA_9533_DI:
>         >       case TUNER_YMEC_TVF_5533MF:
>         >               tuner_dbg("This tuner doesn't have FM. "
>         >                         "Most cards have a TEA5767 for FM
>         \n");
>         >               return 0;
>         >       case TUNER_PHILIPS_FM1216ME_MK3:
>

>         Mauro hacked a tea5767 without knowing what chip it might be
>         even at all
>         on that YMEC with MF (F!)
>
>         Also, the real name of that TENA 9533 DI is DIF ;)
>         and I'm also the pidgin not updating the comment to plural.
>
>         I dropped the F on that one to not improve the confusion
>         further, they
>         did interchange tuner PCBs, but naming convention was not
>         valid at all.
>
>         For TCL I can say the F is valid for radio support on the
>         tuner can, I
>         think ;)

Matt,

A change is already in the latest v4l-dvb repo:

	http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb

that has this entry in tveeprom.c:

	{ TUNER_PHILIPS_FM1236_MK3,     "TCL MNM05-4"},

so that should get you operational.

I haven't acted on inhibiting attempts to use FM radio with the tuner
can, simply because I can't find the spec's for it, nor do I have one to
play with.  But too me that's not critical because the omission is
self-limiting: if you somehow coax the cx18 driver to try and use FM
radio, contrary to the data on the EEPROM, and it doesn't work, you
likely wouldn't try again. ;)

I think I get what Hermann is saying: The "F" on the tuner can doesn't
always mean FM radio.  In the case of the TCL M(F)MN05-4 tuners, the F
probably does have some meaning.  I suspect it means FM baseband audio
is not available from the tuner.  Since the tuner can still has a
TDA988x chip, I'm guessing FM *might* be available via the SIF output of
the tuner.

The cx18 driver currently only decodes SIF for TV audio and uses
baseband for FM audio. The cx18 driver software isn't set up to decode
FM from the SIF output, even if it is there.

Regards,
Andy