Re: [PULL] http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/v4l-dvb

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 14.05.2009, 16:26 -0400 schrieb Andy Walls:
> On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 02:46 +0200, hermann pitton wrote:
> > Hi Andy,
> >
> > Am Sonntag, den 10.05.2009, 19:39 -0400 schrieb Andy Walls:
> > > Mauro,
> > >
> > > Please pull from http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/v4l-dvb
> > >
> > > for the following 2 changesets:
> > >
> > > 01/02: cx18: Add missing newline to tuner detection error message
> > > http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/v4l-dvb?cmd=changeset;node=a107347b7d00
> > >
> > > 02/02: tveeprom: Point the TCL MNM05-4 tuner entry to an actual tuner definition
> > > http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/v4l-dvb?cmd=changeset;node=442f94c04f3d
> > >
> > > Reported-by: Matt Beadon <matt.beadon@xxxxxxxxx>
> > > Tested-by: Matt Beadon <matt.beadon@xxxxxxxxx>
> > >
> > > Matt has an HVR-1600 that has the TCL MNM05-4 tuner.  Change 02/02
> > > yields acceptable results for him.
> > >

> > >  cx18/cx18-driver.c |    2 +-
> > >  tveeprom.c         |    2 +-
> > >  2 files changed, 2 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)
> >
> > call us whatever, but for tuners without radio support (FQ) we also have
> > the entries Jarrod Wilson once added for the dual MCE 500 with one
> > tea5767.
> >
> > That is this MK4 tuner=54 stuff, IIRC. (no tda9887)
>
> The TCL MNM05-4 appears to have a TDA9887 based on tuner chip
> autodetection:
>
> http://ivtvdriver.org/pipermail/ivtv-users/2009-May/009388.html
>
> and it supports M systems since it is on an HVR-1600 sold in an NTSC-M
> market.

like on that PAL version MF, F means radio support and it will have a
radio antenna connector to the tuner can. That is easiest to ask, if no
picture and documentation present.
http://www.tclrf.com/English/html/enewsproopen.asp?proname=109&url=product

> The EEPROM on the particular HVR-1600 says no radio is supported.  Maybe
> the tuner actually does support FM radio, but it just isn't wired up on
> the HVR-1600.  Maybe FM AF baseband doesn't come out of the tuner, but
> SIF can still be used to demodulate FM radio.  I don't know.

Such tuners have radio stereo output on two lines because of the tda7040
in radio mode. In TV mode there will be TV mono on these.

> When looking through the list in tuner-types.c only 2 analog-only, NTSC
> tuners had a TDA9887:
>
> TUNER_PANASONIC_VP27      type 46
> TUNER_PHILIPS_FM1236_MK3  type 43
>
> Since the TCL MFNM05-4, which has FM radio, was using the
> TUNER_PHILIPS_FM1236_MK3 type, I guessed the MNM05-04 would be very
> close.

You won't do any harm, unless people start thinking they must have radio
support and start trying on it in vain.

> Can the tda9887 detection code in Linux give a false positive?

Yes, TDA9887_PRESENT can mean any sort of tda988x.

Also the tda988x listing in tuner-types.c is not yet complete and that
will cause troubles, if we ever remove it from the card entries, which
was a plan once, but seems forgotten.

For MK3 types with radio switch 0x19 you find in tuner-simple.c.

static int simple_radio_bandswitch(struct dvb_frontend *fe, u8 *buffer)
{
	struct tuner_simple_priv *priv = fe->tuner_priv;

	switch (priv->type) {
	case TUNER_TENA_9533_DI:
	case TUNER_YMEC_TVF_5533MF:
		tuner_dbg("This tuner doesn't have FM. "
			  "Most cards have a TEA5767 for FM\n");
		return 0;
	case TUNER_PHILIPS_FM1216ME_MK3:
	case TUNER_PHILIPS_FM1236_MK3:
	case TUNER_PHILIPS_FMD1216ME_MK3:
	case TUNER_PHILIPS_FMD1216MEX_MK3:
	case TUNER_LG_NTSC_TAPE:
	case TUNER_PHILIPS_FM1256_IH3:
	case TUNER_TCL_MF02GIP_5N:
		buffer[3] = 0x19;
		break;
	case TUNER_TNF_5335MF:

But there are also tda9887 chips on microtune types subsumed under mt2032.

One strange thing, no radio support but you might know about, is
TUNER_ALPS_TSBE5_PAL with TDA9887_PRESENT. In fact it is an undocumented
ALPS microtuner  with some unknown chip, PLL and analog IF part are
somehow in one package and works like a tda9886.

Amazing hardware hacking by Hans J. Koch on a saa7134 cinergy400 cardbus
that time.

We found also some tuners which have sound only in intercarrier mode,
all NTSC. Since default is QSS, something to be aware off, might happen
again.

Cheers,
Hermann