Re: V4L2 - Capturing uncompressed data

Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart <at> skynet.be> writes:

> The video stream is compressed directly by the webcam and sent to the host in
> compressed form.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Laurent Pinchart

I spoke with my supervisor. He'll try to get a camera
which allow uncompressed format.
In the meantime, and in order to do stop-motion
in the application, I need to get the best quality possible
of the webcam in one 'shot' (not video, just picture).
Is there any way to get the value of compression of the jpeg
by the V4L2 in order to do a software extrapolation after.

For instance, with some webcams (1.3 millions pixels),
you can capture a 640*480 resolution in video mode
but some allow pictures in 800*600 by extrapolation.

So in order to do that extrapolation, I need the value
of compression of the JPEG use by V4L2. Is it always the same,
or it depends on the camera ? And can v4l2 get and modify this value ?