Re: [PULL] http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mcisely/pvrusb2-dev

On Mon, 11 May 2009, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

> Em Mon, 11 May 2009 22:09:26 -0300
> Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:
>
> > Em Sat, 9 May 2009 16:49:31 -0500 (CDT)
> > Mike Isely <isely@xxxxxxxxx> escreveu:
> >

> > > Mauro:
> > >
> > > Please pull from http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mcisely/pvrusb2-dev for various
> > > pvrusb2 changesets.  Several have to do with IR as previously discussed
> > > with Jean Delvare.  He's waiting for these changes.  Other stuff is more
> > > of a miscellaneous / cleanup nature.
>
> Hmm... this one failed when importing on -git:
>
> Changeset: 11749
> From: Greg Kroah-Hartman  <gregkh@xxxxxxx>
> Commiter: Mike Isely <isely@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Fri May 01 22:36:33 2009 -0500
> Subject: pvrusb2: remove driver_data direct access of struct device
>
> In the near future, the driver core is going to not allow direct access
> to the driver_data pointer in struct device.  Instead, the functions
> dev_get_drvdata() and dev_set_drvdata() should be used.  These functions
> have been around since the beginning, so are backwards compatible with
> all older kernel versions.

> Cc: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> $ patch -p1 -i 11749.patch
> patching file drivers/media/video/pvrusb2/pvrusb2-sysfs.c
> Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n]
>
> It seems that you've got a Greg's patch, removed the parts that touch on other
> files, applied on your tree and asked me to merge it. Please, never do it,
> since this will cause merge problems when exporting the patches to git. Next
> time, just reply with an acked-by, and let Patchwork to add your ack on the
> original patch.

I in fact did what you are asking for here (i.e. wait for it to show up
on its own) before for another change that got rid of usb_settoggle().
It took a LONG time - WEEKS - for that fix to get back into v4l-dvb via
the mechanism you just described.  And this had the effect of breaking
the v4l-dvb repository for a period of time when the kernel mainline
then unpublished the usb_settoggle() function.  I do NOT like to see
that happen.  That caused me to decide not to rely on what you are now
telling me to do.

I also disagree with this for another reason.  What happens if, say,
Greg generates a patch that I need before I can proceed with other
changes?  Do I just sit around and wait for it to trickle back before I
can continue?  That seems wrong.  In addition in the past when there
have been pvrusb2 changes generated from upstream you have asked if I
was planning on pulling them in myself - which I've done in the past.

It seems wrong on its face to tell me that I can't go get a patch that
affects my driver.

AND...  In the case of the "remove usb_settoggle()" patch, I *DID* in
fact add my acked-by to that patch.  Greg dutifully took note of this
and ensured it was part of the git patch.  However when it got back into
v4l-dvb, the acked-by attribution was missing.  I complained about this
to you and your response was that this was a fault of the pathway /
mechanism and that I should basically accept this.  So now you're
telling me to do this anyway?

Whatever.

  -Mike

--