Re: EC168 "dvb_usb: Unknown symbol release_firmware"

On Mon, 04 May 2009 19:35:09 -0400, CityK wrote:

> drbob,
>
> Off_Topic: that name takes me back: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Dr._Bob

And I thought I'd picked that name at random. The muppets must have had a
deeper effect on my subconscious than I realised...

> On_Topic:  You have built the drivers but you haven't installed them
> into the system as intended, consequently you will run into the set of
> observations that you have.  Have a read through:
> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_Obtain%
2C_Build_and_Install_V4L-DVB_Device_Drivers

Thanks for the link. It put me on the right track. I needed to load the
"firmware-class" kernel module before dvb-usb - modprobe resolves module
dependencies automatically, insmod does not. dvb-usb also relies on
i2c_core but that was already loaded on my system.

So to manually load the ec168 modules I need to execute:

sudo modprobe firmware-class

Bdefore the the insmod commands.

For testing purposes I wanted to explicity load the new modules with
insmod rather than install them and overwrite all the modules included
with the kernel, which I know have been passed as stable. That seemed
more sensible than the course of action suggested by the wiki article.