Re: Results of the 'dropping support for kernels <2.6.22' poll

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 22:03:21 -0400
Devin Heitmueller <devin.heitmueller@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 6:20 PM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
> <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > My suggestion is to keep a backporting system, but more targeted at the
> > end-users. The reasons are the ones explained above. Basically:
>
> Ok, so just so we're all on the same page - we're telling all the
> developers not willing to run a bleeding edge rc kernel to screw off?
>
> Got an Nvidia video card?  Go away!
> The wireless broken in this week's -rc candidate?  Go away!
> Your distro doesn't yet support the bleeding edge kernel?   Go away!
> Want to have a stable base on which to work so you can focus on
> v4l-dvb development?  Go away!
>
> I can tell you quite definitely that you're going to lose some
> developers with this approach.  You better be damn sure that the lives
> you're making easier are going to significantly outweigh the
> developers willing to contribute who you are casting aside.

Devin,

Please, don't invert the things.

I am the one that is trying to defend the need of keeping the backport, while
most of you are trying to convince to me to just drop it, since developers will
run the bleeding edge -rc.

With the argument that developers shouldn't run the bleeding edge kernel, I'd
say you should do it. This is the way kernel development is. You shouldn't send
something upstream, if your patch doesn't run with the latest -rc. In my case,
I have my alpha environment for such tests, separated from the environment I
write my code. This allows me to do development on a more stable environment,
being sure that it will keep running with the latest kernel.

With the respect of using the backported environment for developing, you can do
it, if you want. It will be available for all usages. Have you ever seen the
approach I'm proposing at my backported tree? I can't see why you couldn't use
it for development also.

Cheers,
Mauro