Re: Results of the 'dropping support for kernels <2.6.22' poll

> Hans,
>
> On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 22:18:24 +0100
> Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > In the final analysis I'm the boss of my own time. And I've decided that
> > once the conversion of all the i2c modules is finished I'll stop
> spending
> > time on the compatibility code for kernels <2.6.22 as it is simply no
> > longer an effective use of my time. If someone else wants to spend time
> on
> > that, then that's great and I will of course answer questions or help in
> > whatever way is needed.
> >
> > I know that Mauro thinks he can keep the backwards compat code in by
> doing
> > nifty code transformations. It would be nice if he succeeds (and I have
> no
> > doubt that it is possible given enough time and effort), but personally
> > think it is time better spent elsewhere.
>
> It required just a couple of hours today, in order to add the I2C
> conversion
> rules on the backport tree:
>
> 	http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mchehab/backport/
>
> There, I used, as example, the tea6415c.c file that you sent me, meant to
> be an
> example of a driver converted to use just the new I2C API. I've removed
> from it
> all the other #ifdefs for 2.6.26, so, the module doesn't have any compat
> bits
> (except for "compat.h" that can also be handled by the script). I didn't
> compile
> the entire tree, since several drivers will break, as they aren't ported
> yet
> to the new I2C style.
>
> Maybe a few adjustments on the backport.pl may be needed, after having all
> drivers converted to 2.6.22, since the final version may need some other
> patching rules.
>
> That's said, the backport tree is still an experimental work. The scripts
> require more time to be tested, and the Makefiles need some cleanups.

Mauro,

neat, but I still think time spent on backporting work would be better
spent on cutting-edge development. Two hours here ... two hours there
... it all adds up to a significant investment of time.

> Beside the fact that we don't need to strip support for legacy kernels,
> the
> advantage of using this method is that we can evolute to a new development
> model. As several developers already required, we should really use the
> standard -git tree as everybody's else. This will simplify a lot the way
> we
> work, and give us more agility to send patches upstream.

Great! Do you have a plan for how soon a move to the standard git tree
will happen? The sooner the better IMO.

> With this backport script, plus the current v4l-dvb building systems, and
> after
> having all backport rules properly mapped, we can generate a "test tree"
> based on -git drivers/media, for the users to test the drivers against
> their
> kernels, and still use a clean tree for development.
>
> Cheers,
> Mauro

If I understand correctly you are suggesting that a backporting
system would continue to exist?

Why? Surely this would be a heavy ball-and-chain to drag around for
eternity. Why not lose the backporting and go for the simplicity and
agility you mentioned above?

Regards,
Hans W.

--