Re: [PULL] http://linuxtv.org/hg/~dheitmueller/hvr950q-analog2

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 11:25:20 -0400
Devin Heitmueller <devin.heitmueller@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Mauro,
>
> Please pull from:
>
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~dheitmueller/hvr950q-analog2
>
> for the following:
>
> xc5000: fix bug for hybrid xc5000 devices with IF other than 5380
> au8522: rename the au8522.c source file
> au8522: move shared state and common functions into a separate header files
> au8522: fix register read/write high bits
> au8522: power down the digital demod when not in use
> au8522: make use of hybrid framework so analog/digital demod can share state
> au8522: add support for analog side of demodulator
> au0828: add support for analog functionality in bridge
> au0828: workaround a bug in the au0828 i2c handling
> au0828: add analog profile for the HVR-850
> au8522: add mutex protecting use of hybrid state
> au0828: Rework the way the analog video binding occurs
> tveeprom: add the xc5000 tuner to the tveeprom definition
> au0828: advertise only NTSC-M (as opposed to all NTSC standards)
> au0828: disable VBI code since it doesn't yet work
> au0828: fix i2c enumeration bug
> au0828: make register debug lines easier to read
> au0828: make g_chip_ident call work properly
> au0828: properly handle missing analog USB endpoint
> au0828: properly handle non-existent analog inputs
> au0828: fix panic on disconnect if analog initialization failed
> au0828: Convert to use v4l2_device/subdev framework
>
> Cheers,
>
> Devin

Hi Devin,

There's a bug on your patch series: see this:

Those are the locations of au8522 files at Kernel's tree:
	drivers/media/dvb/frontends/au8522.h
	drivers/media/dvb/frontends/au8522_dig.c
	drivers/media/dvb/frontends/au8522_priv.h
	drivers/media/video/au8522_decoder.c

And those are the Makefile rules for au8522.h on drivers/media/dvb/frontends/Makefile:

au8522-objs = au8522_dig.o au8522_decoder.o
obj-$(CONFIG_DVB_AU8522) += au8522.o

When you're compiling the out-of-tree version, everything works OK, but, for
in-tree compilation, au8522_decoder won't be compiled, since the file will be
in the wrong dir.

If I'm understanding well, this chip has two functions: it is a dvb frontend
and an analog video/audio demodulator, right?

One solution would be to have all those files in the same directory. However,
au8522_decoder doesn't fit well on dvb/frontends. It is also not a tuner,
otherwise common/tuners would be another better place.

Another alternative would be to create two kconfig rules (and two separate
modules), being one for au8522_decoder and another for the frontend, since they
are, in fact, two different things.

I suspect,however, that compiling just one or another would break compilation.
So, we need to create some sort of rules that will warrant that both modules
will be compiled at the same time. This is not an easy task, since we cannot
add "depends on", since frontends are compiled by using "select". So, we will
need to re-design the Kconfig rules to use depends on instead of select (well,
this is something good, anyway, since the usage of "select" is something that
should be avoided, according with Kbuild docs).

I'll keep reviewing the patch series. Maybe I'll merge it, but, in this case,
I'll need to blacklist the module until we found a solution, or find a way to
allow my -git trees to compile.

Cheers,
Mauro