Re: Improve DKMS build of v4l-dvb?

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 7:47 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
<mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> After the test build, all you have to do is run "modinfo -F alias" on
>> all the modules, add the principal module name, and you will end up with
>> a modaliases list which is directly usable with Jockey. For users
>> without it, another simple script will select the correct principal
>> module to build.
>
> IMO, a perl script searching for PCI and USB tables at the driver would do a
> faster job than doing a module build. You don't need to do a test build to
> know what modules compile, since v4l/versions.txt already contains the
> minimum supported version for each module. If the module is not there, then
> it will build since kernel 2.6.16.

I hate to be the one to point this out, but isn't the notion of
automatically rebuilding the modules for *your* hardware broken right
from the start?  What this would mean that if I own a laptop and my
USB based capture device happens to not be connected when I upgrade my
kernel, then my drivers are going to be screwed up?

Maybe I'm just missing something.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller