Re: [linuxtv-commits] [hg:v4l-dvb] v4l2-ioctl: get rid of video_decoder.h

> On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 08:31:32 +0100
> Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> > The V4L1 obsoleted header video_decoder.h is not used anymore by any
>> > driver. Only a name decoding function at v4l2-ioctl still implements
>> it.
>>
>> Hoorah!
>
> Yes! We're finally getting rid of some of those V4L1 headers. The only
> remaining one is videodev.h.
>
>> Note that video_encoder.h is now also unused, but since that header
>> isn't in v4l-dvb it should be removed manually in the kernel during the
>> 2.6.30 merge window.
>
> I've already got rid of video_encoder.h on my -git tree. I just wrote a
> patch
> removing the rest of video_decoder.h references on -git.
>
> Yet, there are a few drivers that still requires V4L1 videodev.h header:
>
> A minimal set of V4L1 stuff, just for VIDIOCMBUF:
> 	linux/include/media/videobuf-core.h
> 	linux/include/media/v4l2-ioctl.h
>
> Core modules, to preserve V4L1 compatibility:
> 	linux/drivers/media/video/v4l2-ioctl.c
> 	linux/drivers/media/video/v4l1-compat.c
> 	linux/drivers/media/video/v4l2-compat-ioctl32.c
>
> V4L1 legacy webcam drivers:
> 	linux/include/media/ovcamchip.h
> 	linux/drivers/media/video/stv680.c
> 	linux/drivers/media/video/ov511.h
> 	linux/drivers/media/video/w9966.c
> 	linux/drivers/media/video/meye.c
> 	linux/drivers/media/video/bw-qcam.c
> 	linux/drivers/media/video/cpia.h
> 	linux/drivers/media/video/cpia2/cpia2_v4l.c
> 	linux/drivers/media/video/cpia2/cpia2.h
> 	linux/drivers/media/video/cpia2/cpia2dev.h
> 	linux/drivers/media/video/se401.h
> 	linux/drivers/media/video/c-qcam.c
> 	linux/drivers/media/video/usbvideo/usbvideo.h
> 	linux/drivers/media/video/usbvideo/vicam.c
> 	linux/drivers/media/video/w9968cf.c
> 	linux/drivers/media/video/arv.c
> 	linux/drivers/media/video/pwc/pwc.h

I've got several of these: w9968cf, usbvideo, cpia_usb, stv680 (I think)
and ov511.

> A few capture drivers:
> 	linux/drivers/media/video/zoran/zoran_driver.c
> 	linux/drivers/media/video/stradis.c
> 	linux/drivers/media/video/pms.c
>
> And two i2c helper drivers:
> 	linux/drivers/media/video/msp3400-driver.c
> 	linux/drivers/media/video/tuner-core.c
>
> Most of the above are the legacy V4L1 webcam drivers. It would be really
> nice
> if someone could volunteer to port those Webcam drivers to gspca.
>
> I suspect that it shouldn't hard to remove the few V4L1 bits from
> zoran_driver, after all
> the conversions made. Yet, there are some Zoran specific ioctls that use
> this.
> We should probably discontinue those zoran-specific ioctls.

I didn't dare do that when I did the conversion. Someone would have to
analyze these BUZ ioctls, but I think they all have proper v4l2
equivalents.

> It seems also safe to remove V4L1 code from msp3400, since, AFAIK, all
> drivers
> that supports it are already converted to V4L2.

I didn't realize that there was still some V4L1 code in that driver. It
can certainly be removed.

> After converting stradis, it will be probably safe also to remove V4L1
> code
> from tuner-core.
>
> I doubt that there are still some pms hardware around, but it would be
> interesting to keep this module, since this is the first V4L driver wrote.

I have one! I managed to get one for $4 (+$16 shipping :-) ).

It actually works (sort of) and I want to convert it to v4l2, just as a
fun project.

Regards,

      Hans