Re: V4L2 spec

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 19:46:34 -0400
Andy Walls <awalls@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > and integrating it into the existing v4l docbook,
>
> I'm not sure of the value in that.

The DVB conversion to docbook allows us to add it at the kernel docbook docs
(probably, not the entire doc, but the parts that describe the internal kernel
API).

> <opinion>
> Implmenting something to multiple (or multi-volume) specifications is
> indeed a pain, but it makes documentation maintenance easier as the task
> is easily divided along areas of personnel expertise.  Assuming the rate
> of documentation maintencance does not rapidly increase, keeping
> documentation maintenace simple is paramount.

If you take a look on V4L docbooks, it is divided into multiple volume files:

biblio.sgml          pixfmt-nv16.sgml                 vidioc-enumstd.sgml
common.sgml          pixfmt-packed-rgb.sgml           vidioc-g-audioout.sgml
compat.sgml          pixfmt-packed-yuv.sgml           vidioc-g-audio.sgml
controls.sgml        pixfmt-sbggr16.sgml              vidioc-g-crop.sgml
dev-capture.sgml     pixfmt-sbggr8.sgml               vidioc-g-ctrl.sgml
dev-codec.sgml       pixfmt-sgbrg8.sgml               vidioc-g-enc-index.sgml

If we merge DVB there, for sure we should break it into some files, and maybe
even having they on separate directories.

> Also multiple specifcations (or volumes) clearly group requirements into
> large chunks of "I don't care about that volume" and "I do care about
> this volume".  Combining the V4L2 and DVB spec into one volume would
> probably be a strategic error for some tactical advantage in dealing
> with hybrid devices.

This is a good point.

On my opinion, it seems good to merge the docs. This is just my 2 cents.

If we merge both, IMO, we should break the doc into two parts, being one for
analog and another for digital, with an introductory text with the hybrid
devices glue.

If we decide not to merge, we can at least try to follow the same model on both
documents, and link a common sgml introductory text for hybrid devices to be
added on both documents.

> </opinion>

Cheers,
Mauro