Re: [PULL] http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mkrufky/sms1xxx-gpio

--- On Fri, 3/6/09, Michael Krufky <mkrufky@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Michael Krufky <mkrufky@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [PULL] http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mkrufky/sms1xxx-gpio
> To: "Mauro Carvalho Chehab" <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 3:15 PM
> Mauro,
>
> Please pull from:
>
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mkrufky/sms1xxx-gpio
>
> for the following:
>
> - smsusb: whitespace cleanups
> - smscore: whitespace cleanups
> - smsusb: add autodetection for "nice" and "venice" boards
> - smsdvb: whitespace cleanups
> - sms-cards: add some more debug
> - sms1xxx: update GPIO functionality to support all
> devices
>
>  sms-cards.c  |   26 ++
>  sms-cards.h  |    2
>  smscoreapi.c |  391
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------------
>  smscoreapi.h |  350
> ++++++++++++++++++----------------
>  smsdvb.c     |   27 +-
>  smsusb.c     |   49
> ++--
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mike
> --
> linux-media" in
> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

Hi Mike,

I reviewed your tree , which is indicated by the email above, and compared it to a tree I built from the v4l 'trunk' repository + Siano's patches.
I found out two things -
1) The trees are still *very* differ from each other
2) You applied *new* things that are _not_ included in the "old" Siano's patches (and some of them even break it).

I'm wondering what is the status of the Siano's patches merge to the main tree, and I would like to ask what is the target date for final merge. This is critical for us since till now, we told people to download the v4l 'trunk' and apply the various patches (which are available to to all on the vger server) on it. The current state voids that option, and the result is invalid drivers (I tested the your tree, and it fails the very first Siano's QA sanity test).

I would like to ask you to stick with Siano's patches, which are solid, tested thoroughly, and work on multiple devices (including mass production).
We talked about altering some minor stuff (like the EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL, external functions calls and indentation) this does not mean that we want to create new set of drivers or alter the drivers architecture.

If there are substantial changes you think should be applied, first merge all previously committed patches, and than submit new patches for review.

Please note that are multiple patches awaiting to be submitted from Siano (and some other parties via Siano), that I'm holding till the merge will end. So lets keep the order [1] merge old Siano's patches [2] submit review and merge pending Siano's (exist) patches [3] Submit new patches for review.

Regards,

Uri